Welcome to a faster audiobuilder.ca!

Fingers crossed, after a day of bashing at the command line, I have finally finished migrating audiobuilder.ca from my home office to The Cloud.  Ok, I admit that I’m not a huge fan of that particular buzzword 🙂  Despite that, the site should be much, much faster now.  Even better, this extra speed should allow me to jazz up audiobuilder.ca with more content, higher-resolution photos, and other goodies.

If you emailed me between Aug. 23 and Aug. 25 and you haven’t heard back, please re-send your message as it may have fallen through the cracks during the DNS propagation.

Enjoy the speed!

A confession…

I’m fast approaching my 3 year anniversary with ANK and I have built over 50 kits-  more than one of everything, in fact, with one glaring exception.  One of the first things I built in my first week at work at Audio Note Kits was a driver board for a Kit 1.  I have worked on Kit 1 prototypes, I have done full mechanical builds of the Kit 1, I have built power supplies for the Kit 1, I have photographed the Kit 1 for manuals, websites and marketing materials.  The one thing I have never done, however, is properly _hear_ a Kit 1, ANK’s original product.  Until now, that is!  Product development never ends at ANK, and the Kit 1 isn’t exempted from this process.  We are establishing a new baseline Kit 1 with all the latest upgrades-  Takman resistors, updated chassis, updated transformers, etc.  I just finished this new “prototype” build a couple days ago, and all I can say is “wow!”  I finally know where all the rave reviews come from.  This is a really special amp, a sort of unique topology in the ANK lineup, and the sound is really nuanced and sublime.  It’ll really suck you in!Kit 1 front view Kit 1 front angle Kit 1 inside #2

Kit 1 inside angleThe Kit 1 is kind of an “old school” kit, so I went with a slightly more organic old-school wiring layout.  There is a method to the apparent madness though!  In addition to taking special care as to where AC might interact with DC, and where signal might interact with sources of noise, I also try to think in 3D to make the most of the space inside to keep these elements separated.  I believe this is somewhat visible in the last photo.